Toddler-Friendly Veggie Muffins

Just like many of you out there, I've had to be creative with cooking healthy meals for our family, which hasn't always been well-received by my greatest food critic, my little toddler.

Do you have a picky eater? I feel like the word "toddler" is synonymous with "particular." They are just learning how to feed themselves and would much rather bat, swat, and drop the food on their plate than eat it. Or, they'd prefer running around and playing - they're so busy at this age! 

At first, I was rather set on getting my son to eat vegetables without mixing them in something else, but I quickly learned that my son's sweet tooth was going to win some of those battles.  We tried adding veggies as a spread on sandwiches because he would rather feed himself and I've tried putting most of his meals in wontons, bread, and tortillas. We use vegetables as a spread and try to put a little of whatever we're having for dinner in a form that he can feed himself. Sometimes, though, I need a sure-fire, easy way for him to get his vegetables, without always having to mix them with applesauce! So, what's a mom to do?! Make muffins of course! 

Here is my attempt at sneaking vegetables into baked goods. Enjoy! If you eat some of them yourself, just keep telling yourself that you're trying to get all of your servings of vegetables in......because that's really the reason you're eating them. right? ;)  

Oh yes, that's definitely sugar that you see on top! I just couldn't help myself...

Prep Time: 15 minutes Bake Time: 18-20 minutes

1/2 cup pumpkin (I used canned)
1/4 cup peas (steamed and mashed)
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk 
1/4 cup cooking oil (or you could substitute with applesauce)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups flour 

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease your muffin tins (I used a tin with 2.5 inch muffin cups for 12 muffins). 

2. In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin, peas, egg, vanilla, cooking oil, and milk. Set aside. 

3. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin spice. Make a well in the center of the mixture

4. Slowly add the egg mixture to the flour, and stir until just combined (do not over-stir). 

5. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups, fill each cup about 2/3 full, and bake them for about 18 to 20 minutes. Once finished, let them cool for 5 minutes before removing and enjoying! :) 


What are some creative ways you've used to get your kiddos to eat their vegetables? Also, let me know if you tried these and what your thoughts are! I'd love to hear from you! 

Mom in the Works: Toddler-Friendly Veggie Muffins

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Toddler-Friendly Veggie Muffins

Just like many of you out there, I've had to be creative with cooking healthy meals for our family, which hasn't always been well-received by my greatest food critic, my little toddler.

Do you have a picky eater? I feel like the word "toddler" is synonymous with "particular." They are just learning how to feed themselves and would much rather bat, swat, and drop the food on their plate than eat it. Or, they'd prefer running around and playing - they're so busy at this age! 

At first, I was rather set on getting my son to eat vegetables without mixing them in something else, but I quickly learned that my son's sweet tooth was going to win some of those battles.  We tried adding veggies as a spread on sandwiches because he would rather feed himself and I've tried putting most of his meals in wontons, bread, and tortillas. We use vegetables as a spread and try to put a little of whatever we're having for dinner in a form that he can feed himself. Sometimes, though, I need a sure-fire, easy way for him to get his vegetables, without always having to mix them with applesauce! So, what's a mom to do?! Make muffins of course! 

Here is my attempt at sneaking vegetables into baked goods. Enjoy! If you eat some of them yourself, just keep telling yourself that you're trying to get all of your servings of vegetables in......because that's really the reason you're eating them. right? ;)  

Oh yes, that's definitely sugar that you see on top! I just couldn't help myself...

Prep Time: 15 minutes Bake Time: 18-20 minutes

1/2 cup pumpkin (I used canned)
1/4 cup peas (steamed and mashed)
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup milk 
1/4 cup cooking oil (or you could substitute with applesauce)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups flour 

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease your muffin tins (I used a tin with 2.5 inch muffin cups for 12 muffins). 

2. In a medium bowl, combine the pumpkin, peas, egg, vanilla, cooking oil, and milk. Set aside. 

3. In a large bowl, mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin spice. Make a well in the center of the mixture

4. Slowly add the egg mixture to the flour, and stir until just combined (do not over-stir). 

5. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cups, fill each cup about 2/3 full, and bake them for about 18 to 20 minutes. Once finished, let them cool for 5 minutes before removing and enjoying! :) 


What are some creative ways you've used to get your kiddos to eat their vegetables? Also, let me know if you tried these and what your thoughts are! I'd love to hear from you! 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home